Thursday, February 24, 2011

Benedick and Beatrice Throughout the Ages

 "My" (Kenneth Branagh's) 1993 film version of Much Ado -- the adapted Act V Scene II -- Beatrice is Emma Thompson and I (Kenneth Branagh) am Benedick.  Here I, Benedick, am confessing my love; see how Beatrice is quite calm - not totally bitter as she is when she comes to call me to dinner just after I have eavesdropped on the conversation Don Pedro, Leonato and Claudio have been having about Beatrice's love for me.
Here I am in a stage production - just a shot of me being clever and Beatrice with a look of sarcasm/mocking on her face.
 Who I've cast as Beatrice and Benedick - Catherine Tate and David Tennant.  [this is a joke - kenneth branagh has nothing to do with the production they're in later this spring/summer.]  Catherine is very good at playing the strong woman and I can see her being very snappy with her witty comments - I imagine her rendition of Beatrice will really play up the sassy, independent, anti-marriage woman who shows no weakness.  David is just an incredible actor and has played with the Royal Shakespeare Company, thus he brings much experience to the table.  I expect he will bring out what he feels is the true essence of Benedick's character through his private soliloquies, as he is a very talented actor who has a real strength in pulling an audience in; he can probably pull off any kind of Benedick you can imagine.
 E. H. Sothern and Julia Marlowe in elaborate costumes from a production in New York City.
 Ellen Terry as Beatrice (in London).  Again, very beautiful and fairly elaborate costumes.

 This is Jessie Millward playing Beatrice in a 1904 production in New York City.
 A screenshot from the BBC's film version, entitled "Much Ado About Nothing" (2005) set in modern times.  Beatrice (Sarah Parish) and Benedick (Damian Lewis) are weather reporters who are constantly bickering - it is difficult to pick up any trace of flirting or love in their public image in this production; warmer emotions are easier to pick up in private situations.
 Mona Limerick and Ian Maclaren as Beatrice and Benedick; one can just sense the sass/cleverness in Beatrice's eyes... It appears there's more than meets the eye.
Winifred Emery as Beatrice.

No comments:

Post a Comment